Thursday, March 15, 2012

Enough lame jokes; this is serious.

I have had two days to post that video I promised, and the fact that I've only posted one other video during the course of this thirty day period is very disappointing. So here's my deal. I will teach you some more fun facts about the ukulele in exchange for a couple extra days to shoot the video. Cool? Cool.

So, the ukulele is and instrument of three different sections. See the diagram below.

This is a soprano ukulele; it has around twelve frets in lieu of the average fourteen to seventeen frets one can find on the concert ukulele (the one I prefer). 
The 3 main part of a ukulele are the body, the neck, and the head. The neck holds the fretboard; frets are divided by metal bars that span the ukulele's neck. By holding down the string on a particular fret, you alter the sound of the string when strummed. The body of the ukulele holds the bridge--the part that tethers the string to the ukulele--and the (get ready for this advanced terminology...) the sound hole. The sound hole allows the vibrations from the string to resonate through the body and create a fuller sound. The tuning prongs on the head of the ukulele twist and allow for the correct notes from each string. And that, my friends, is the anatomy of a ukulele. 
I PROMISE that video will be up soon.
Aloha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What instrument do you play?