Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hey guys, what do you do when you can't find anyone to sing with you?
...
You duet yourself!

Back with the awful puns. Hope everyone is out enjoying the weather, but for those stuck inside, let's talk about something that may not affect you guys if you think about playing the ukulele, but it affects me.

Left-handedness. It is both a blessing and a curse. I'm an asset to the team when I play sports, but I also have trouble sitting in right-handed desks in lecture halls, using right handed scissors, I have to tune my instruments differently, and I can't pick up any guitar or ukulele that people have lying around unless it's tuned left-handed.

If you're keeping score, that's Blessings: 1  Curses: 4

And that's just the beginning. But I'm not here to rant about my autosomal recessive traits and environmentally based characteristics, I'm here to talk about how lefties have to adjust to playing stringed instruments. My videos are shot in a way that this might not be apparent, but i brace the body of the ukulele with my dominant hand (left) and strum with the aforementioned hand. This is different from right-handed players, and as a result, I had to flip all of my strings so that I could play with the same G, C, E, A tuning, but as a lefty.

Any other lefties out there feel my pain?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What instrument do you play?